March 07, 2009

Amsterdam Airport

Well, we've started our adventure to West Africa. We left Friday evening from Toronto, not without adventure: my passport was inadvertantly left in the scanner at home and we didn't realise it until we got to the airport. Thankfully, one of our good friends was able to go to our house and pick it up and meet us halfway between the airport and home. (Thanks Heather!)

The flight was great, I really like KLM airlines and would recommend them to anyone. We had television screens in the seatback of every seat, and had a choice between many many TV shows, movies, music and the likes. We could have even gone online or made phone calls if we'd felt like using our VISA. The food was amazing, the service superb, and we had all the free drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) that we wanted. It was great!

We left Toronto airport at 6 pm, the flight was 7 hours, and we arrive in Amsterdam at 6:35 am their time. So you do the math....right now it is 10 am Amsterdam time, and I have not been to sleep. Oddly enough, I am not tired at all. Tim is sound asleep on a funky recliner type chair, there are little gatherings of these chairs all over the airport, and let me tell you, they're prime real estate! It took us a while to finally find some, but thankfully eventually we did. I tried to sleep, but it's broad daylight out, and lots of people were walking to and fro. And I'm excited. So eventually after about 40 minutes of trying to force myself to sleep, I resorted to walking around the airport. It's HUGE. A very cool airport, lots of shops and eateries, lots of neat architecture and windows. Dad, I think you'd really like it. :P

It's cool, a nice place to be while we wait to travel to our final destinations...Ghana and Togo. I'm really excited, a little nervous, but mostly excited. I can't wait to see all the places I've heard so much about from Tim. I can't wait to try Foufou finally (Tim talks about it so much!). I can't wait to meet Amedzi and Christine and Fofo....someone said to me that it will be interesting to see if it all lives up to my expectations. I don't know if I really know what to expect, but I do know that as long as I'm with Tim, it will be wonderful. :)

I'll try to post more later....running out of time. Love you all.

No comments: